During the last conference call, Chris Dardick (USDA-ARS) had a great proposal to
recognize students with awards from the RosEXEC group for outstanding publications or
posters. As a result of enthusiastic responses, I proposed that we have a committee of 4-5
volunteers to discuss how the awards would work. We would anticipate presenting these
awards at our January meeting, that is held in conjunction with PAG in San Diego, CA.
Thanks to Chris for putting together this initial information about the proposed award:
U.S. Rosaceae Executive Group Student Awards:
Opportunities for awards and recognition are critical to the development of successful
scientific careers. Given its national and international scope, RosEXEC is uniquely
positioned to help recognize the outstanding work of researchers working on Rosaceous
crops. Giving out awards as part of RosEXEC should help to further bring together the
Rosaceae research community, encourage participating in RosEXEC, and help advance the
careers of the students and scientists who dedicate themselves to studying these crops. A
RosEXEC subcommittee is needed to develop the framework and process for giving out awards.
Below are some possible topics:
* Purpose and mandate - Ensure that giving out awards falls within the RosEXEC bylaws
and amend the bylaws if deemed necessary. Does RosEXEC need to engage the broader
community in adding this function?
* Scope and categories of awards
* National or international? Public/private institutions? Research areas included?
* Categories? Graduate student, postdoc, young scientist (<5 yrs.), scientist,
career award, breeder releases and/or germplasm development, scientific paper of the year,
etc. The awards should reflect the diversity of the Rosaceae research community.
* Nature of awards? Certificate of recognition, plaque, monetary, etc.
* Funding? Sponsorship, GDR funds, other?
* Selection committee? Who should be on the committee and how will they be chosen.
* Nominations? How will nominations be solicited and who can nominate?
* Award selection? What will be the process and criteria for selection of
* Award presentations/announcements? When/where will awards be presented and how
will they be announced to the community.
With January 2019 right around the corner - I would like to get volunteers on board and
reviewing potential awardees' documents so that the committee can make a decision and
we can have an award/certificate available to present at the January meeting next year.
If you would like to participate on this committee - I'll take the first FIVE
volunteers. Please respond by 9/14/2018, if you would like to help make these rewarding
Mercy Olmstead, Ph.D.
Sr. Mgr. Production Research and Education
California Strawberry Commission<http://californiastrawberries.com/>
Main: (831) 724-1301
Direct: (831) 200-4682
Cell: (831) 228-2404