Fellow RosEXEC members,
The new format of the GDR 'Species' tab could provide a 'Species Summary' for each species listed. Dorrie Main is requesting assistance from RosEXEC in 1) determining the type of information to be listed and 2) providing the information. Please provide input regarding type of information and your willingness to assemble information for your crop of interest.
RE type of information: My own opinion:
* Information should be brief (bullets) and timeless so that it does not require constant updating to remain accurate (examples of time sensitive information: economic value, acreage, important cultivars, etc.).
* I think it should include genomic information (size of genome, # of chromosomes, ploidy) and infra-familial taxonomy.
* I am undecided about horticultural information. In general, I think it would be good but I do not know how it could be presented in a uniform manner across species and how it can be briefly presented.
* Link to species Crop Report in US Rosaceae GGB White paper for further details?
Crop Species listed at GDR: volunteer for a category and/or suggest appropriate contact
* Fragaria vesca, Woodland strawberry
* Fragaria x ananassa, Strawberry (octoploid)
* Malus spp., Apple
* Malus x domestica, Apple
* Prunus armeniaca, Apricot
* P. dulcis, Almond
* P. persica, Peach
* P. serotina, Black Cherry
* Prunus spp., Prunus
* Prunus spp., Cherry
* Pyrus spp., Pear
* Rosaceae Family Genera spp., Rosaceae Family
* Rosa spp. (rose), Rose
A response to this email is requested from ALL RosEXEC members.
John (Jay) Norelli, Ph.D.
Research Plant Pathologist
Appalachian Fruit Research Station
2217 Wiltshire Road
Kearneysville, WV 25430
(304) 725-3451 x264
FAX: (304) 728-2340
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.